David M. Levine
David practices in the firm’s litigation department, focusing primarily in the areas of international, cross-border and commercial litigation and arbitration. David has experience representing domestic and foreign clients in complex, commercial disputes in federal and state courts and in arbitration proceedings before the International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR), the American Arbitration Association (AAA), and the United Kingdom Insurance & Reinsurance Arbitration Society (ARIAS). David also has experience, including trial experience, in federal and state RICO actions, partnership and shareholder disputes, bad faith insurance cases, reinsurance disputes, and lender liability cases.
Admitted to Practice
- New York
- United States District Court, Southern District of Florida
- United States Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- United States District Court, Southern District of New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States Court of International Trade
- J.D., Florida International University College of Law
- Law Review
- Board of Advocates
- Negotiation Team
- Book Awards in Federal Courts and Legal Skills and Values III
- B.S., cum laude, Political Science, Florida State University
- Represented plaintiff in jury trial in the Complex Commercial Litigation Division in Miami-Dade County Circuit Court; obtained directed verdict on $40 million promissory note in highly contested real property action.
- Represented plaintiff in RICO and breach of fiduciary duty bench trial before the Complex Commercial Litigation Division in Miami-Dade County Circuit Court.
- Represented plaintiff in construction defect and breach of contract bench trial in the Complex Litigation Division in Hillsborough County Circuit Court.
- Defended against multi-million dollar personal guarantee in condominium conversion dispute in Miami-Dade County Circuit Court.
Other Representative Matters
- Represented foreign entity in domesticating foreign judgment and ultimately collected 100% of the judgment plus interest.
- Represented Central American conglomerate in international health insurance dispute in federal court arising under Florida’s Unfair Insurance Trade Practices Act for damages in excess of $2 million.
- Represented Chilean and Peruvian corporations in international conspiracy lawsuit against former corporate executives.
- Represented French painter in arbitration before the international centre for dispute resolution in breach of licensing agreement action.
- Represented Trinidad and Tobago reinsurer in London ARIAS arbitration against United Arab Emirates entity in dispute over reinsurance treaty.
- Represented former executor of foreign estate in Central America in claims brought under the federal RICO statute for predicate acts of wire fraud, mail fraud and money laundering.
- Represented plaintiff, a designer and distributor of Jonas Brothers watches and watch boxes in false advertising claim under Lanham Act.
- Represented foreign entities in multi-million dollar action against bank for aiding and abetting civil theft and dealing in stolen property.
- Represented international fresh produce distributor in litigation under the Perishable Agricultural and Commodities Act and for breach of distribution agreement.
- Represented Aruban bank in post judgment proceeding to dissolve multi-million dollar writ of garnishment on a correspondent bank account.
- Represented entity in action to extend the life of a million dollar judgment to avoid the statute of limitations barring any further collection efforts.
- Landmark Funding, Inc. on Behalf of Naples Syndications, LLC v. Chaluts, --- So. 3d ---, 2017 WL 1013133 (Fla. 2d DCA 2017) (reversing trial court’s order dismissing plaintiff’s derivative action and holding that plaintiff properly alleged standing)
- Tootie Disc. Palace, LLC v. PTX Performance Products, Inc., --- So.3d ----, 2016 WL 1367042 (Fla. 4th DCA 2016) (clarifying Florida’s post judgment law and affirming trial court’s denial of appellant’s post-judgment motion to intervene)
- Juega v. Davidson, 105 So. 3d 575 (Fla. 3d DCA 2012), review dismissed, 123 So. 3d 1146 (Fla. 2013) (reversing trial court’s denial of motion to dismiss for lack of personal jurisdiction in a multi-million dollar conspiracy action).
- Gavet v. Thomann, 84 So. 3d 1041 (Fla. 4th DCA 2012) (affirming trial court order denying motion to vacate default final judgment).
- Goldblatt v. C.P. Motion, Inc., 77 So. 3d 798 (Fla. 3d DCA 2011) (affirming final judgment, in part, as to trial court’s order granting summary judgment on enforceability of restrictive covenants in partnership dispute).
- International Law Practice Pointer: The Importance of a Cuba Practice Group in Light of Restored Diplomatic Relations, ABA Section of International Law - Young Lawyers Interest Network & Outreach Committee Newsletter, February 2016
- International Law Practice Pointer: Bypassing the Hague Convention on Service Abroad, ABA Section of International Law - Young Lawyers Interest Network & Outreach Committee Newsletter, January 2015