Ernesto M. Rubi
Ernie’s practice focuses primarily on commercial litigation as well as intellectual property litigation and counseling on advanced technology areas.
Drawing on over a decade of engineering experience, he brings a unique experience to solving complex legal problems. His fluency in Spanish allows him to engage internationally, bridging the language gap for our multinational clients. Consistent with our firm culture, he has taken an active role and been a dynamic participant in all aspects of litigation, arguing motions in both State and Federal courts, including trial, substantively contributing to arbitral proceedings and leading the prosecution of intellectual property matters before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
Focusing on cutting edge areas of law, Ernie has counseled Fortune 500 clients on IPv4 number assets, their acquisition and disposition, as well as the impact of a burgeoning IPv4 marketplace on the state of the Internet. He has been an invited speaker at international engineering and national legal conferences, presenting matters of topical relevance to the engineering community and intellectual property legal community.
Admitted to Practice
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- J.D., cum laude, Florida International University
- B. Sc. Computer Engineering, Florida International University
- American Bar Association, International Law Section
- American Intellectual Property Association
- Miami-Dade County Bar Association
- Cuban American Bar Association
- Assists in the representation of internationally renowned painter in copyright infringement litigation and arbitration.
- Assists in the representation of corporate patent holder in asserting utility patent against leading game console manufacturers.
- Assists in the representation of individual inventor in asserting design patent against leading sports apparel manufacturers.
- Active participant in various utility and design patent pre-suit licensing campaigns.
- Assisted in representation of a foreign investor in fraud claim which, after a jury trial where he argued and prevailed on motion for directed verdict, resulted in a settlement favorable to the client.
- Successfully prosecuted and obtained trademark protection for a range of clients before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- Prosecution of various copyright registration before the United States Copyright Office
Representative Reported Decisions
- Tootie Disc. Palace, LLC v. PTX Performance Products, Inc., --- So.3d ----, 2016 WL 1367042 (Fla. 4th DCA 2016) (clarifying Florida’s post judgment law and affirming trial court’s denial of appellant’s post-judgment motion to intervene)
- Juega v. Davidson, 105 So. 3d 575 (Fla. 3d DCA 2012)
Publications and Presentations
- In re Nortel’s Recognition of Property Rights in IPv4 Numbers, Bloomberg BNA Bankruptcy Law Reporters, Volume 24, Issue No. 9, March 2012.
- The American Registry for Internet Numbers: A Legal and Technical Perspective of ARIN
- Journal of Internet Law, Volume 16, Number 11 – May 2013.
- Presenter: WIPO Draft Text on Copyright Limitations and Exceptions for the Visually Impaired
- 28th Annual Intellectual Property Law Conference, Washington D.C., April 2013