Juan J. Rodriguez
Juan’s practice focuses primarily on international complex fraud litigation involving multiple jurisdictions and, typically, parallel proceedings.
For over 20 years, Juan has led international litigation cases involving shareholder disputes and international fraud, with a focus on recuperating assets that have been fraudulently misappropriated. Juan specializes in obtaining pre-judgment remedies for the recovery of assets, efforts he’s led in various jurisdictions around the world including Bermuda, the British Virgin Islands, Panama, Spain, Andorra, and the United States. These efforts regularly involve the tracing of assets and internal corporate investigations. Juan has also led international commercial arbitration matters, regularly obtaining interim relief for clients as well as confirming arbitral awards.
He often represents, as trial counsel, clients of national repute, litigating areas such as anti-trust, franchisee rights and price-fixing matters. More recently, Juan has acted as outside general counsel for a multinational corporation whose business model concentrates in the agricultural and hospitality industries throughout Central and South America. As outside general counsel, Juan is well versed in international corporate structures, cross-border transactions, and transfer policy tax regulations.
Admitted to Practice
- U.S. District Court, Southern and Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh and Eleventh Circuits
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Florida
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States Court of International Trade
- J.D., University of Florida, College of Law, 1986
- Editor in Chief, University of Florida International Law Journal
- Master’s Certificate, University of Florida Graduate School, Center for Latin American Studies, 1986
- A. in Political Science, with honors, The University of Michigan, 1983
- American Bar Association, International Law Section
- Director of Cuban American Bar Association, 2001-2002
- In re Nortel’s Recognition of Property Rights in IPv4 Numbers, Bloomberg BNA Bankruptcy Law Reporters, Volume 24, Issue No. 9, March 2012.
- Represents multinational corporation in shareholder dispute arising from fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, abuse of process and conspiracy, involving damages in excess of $400 million.
- Represents national real estate development firm in claim arising from expropriation of business interests in Central America brought pursuant to a bilateral Free Trade Agreement.
- Represents Central American conglomerate in claims for damages in excess of $2 million arising from an international health insurance dispute.
- Represented former executor of foreign estate in Central America in claims brought under the federal RICO statute for predicate acts of wire fraud, mail fraud and money laundering.
- Represented international luxury hotel chain in arbitration claims brought for breach of hotel management agreement and resulting in an $11 million award after a seven-day arbitration hearing.
- Represented foreign luxury hotel chain in claims brought in United States federal court for breach of intellectual property agreements, including claims for trademark infringement and breach of the trademark infringement agreement resulting in a multi-million dollar award.
- Represented a foreign investor in fraud claim which, after a jury trial, resulted in multi-million dollar recovery of assets located throughout Europe.
- Represented national gasoline distributor and foreign oil producer in defense of federal claims involving anti-trust violations and discriminatory pricing policies.
- Represented retail gasoline distributors claims brought pursuant to the Petroleum Marketing Practices Act.
- GolTV, Inc. v. Fox Sports Latin Am. Ltd., 16-24431-CIV, 2017 WL 4155478 (S.D. Fla. Sept. 19, 2017) (granting South American Soccer Confederation’s motion to dismiss on personal jurisdiction grounds).
- Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts, B.V. v. Consorcio Barr, S.A., 320 F. 3d 1205 (11th Cir. 2003)
- Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts, B.V. v. Consorcio Barr, S.A., 267 F. Supp. 2d 1335 (S.D. Fla. 2003)
- Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts, B.V. v. Consorcio Barr, S.A., 377 F. 3d 1164 (11th Cir. 2004)
- Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts, B.V. v. Consorcio Barr, S.A., 613 F. Supp. 2d 1362 (S.D. Fla. 2009)
- Padilla v. BIV Investments, 783 So. 2d 349 (Fla. Dist. ct. Appl. 2001).